At their February 12th meeting, the school board set the 2020-2021 busing fees for in-town, school of choice and alternate site requests. After four years with no increase to busing fees, the school board has approved a $10 per year increase for in-town and school of choice busing fees.
- In-town busing fees will increase from $350 to $360 per student per year
- Rural busing fees for students leaving their attendance area to attend a school of choice will increase from $450 to $460 per student per year
The fee for alternate site requests will remain unchanged at $50 per student per stop.
School board approves national field trip request by Barrhead Composite High School
A group of junior high students, their parents, and lead teachers can continue planning a field trip to Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa in May 2021 after receiving approval in principle from the school board. The week-long trip will include visits to:
- Notre-Dame Basilica and the Pointe-à-Callière Museum where students will learn about the history of Montreal to understand the relationship between the French and English
- the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City where students will have an opportunity to see and understand more about the pivotal battle between the French and British in establishing Canada
- the Houses of Parliament in Ottawa where students will learn how the Government of Canada works
R.F. Staples student nominated for Indigenous Student Award
The school board is pleased to announce the nomination of R.F. Staples Secondary School student Ty White for the Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) Honouring Spirit: Indigenous Student Award. First Nations, Métis and Inuit Liaison Audrey Degner nominated Ty for the award. Congratulations Ty!
The next school board meeting is at Pembina North Community School on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020 starting at 9:00 a.m. Members of the public are welcome to attend.