The June 10th board meeting was held at Regional Office in Barrhead.
Assistant Superintendent of Education Services Mark Thiesen presented the Three-Year Education Plan for 2020-2023 which highlights strategies to improve student learning and results over a rolling three year plan. The Education Plan is reviewed and revised annually.
The Three-Year Education Plan for 2020-2023 lists four (4) Outcomes defined by the province, along with three (3) Outcomes defined by the division.
1. Alberta Students are successful.
Children in PHSD communities access inclusive early learning programs guided by jurisdiction quality standards. Effective inclusive programs are achieved through collaborative development and implementation.
2. First Nations, Metis and Inuit students in Alberta are successful.
3. Alberta has excellent teachers, school leaders and school authority leaders.
PHSD learning environments are varied, flexible and predictive of students’ diverse learning needs and exemplify balance, evidence-based assessments that inform instruction.
4. Alberta’s K-12 education system is well governed and managed.
The jurisdiction demonstrates sound fiscal management, considering the needs of the community.
The defined Outcomes are measured for achievement and improvement. Key division priorities and strategies are also identified to address areas of concern. Read the full Three Year Education Plan here.
Facilities Assurance Report
Director of Facilities Tracy Tyreman presented an update on facility strategies across the division.
Pembina Hills received $2.5 million in Capital Maintenance Renewal funding that will be used to complete the following projects over the next six months:
- Westlock Elementary boiler and roof replacement
- R.F. Staples boiler replacement
- R.F. Staples washroom and hallway renovations
- Fort Assiniboine roof replacement
Infrastructure and Maintenance Renewal projects completed or in progress with funding for 2019-20:
- R.F. Staples – Public Address system replacement, cafeteria washroom renovation and bus parking lot resurface
- Swan Hills – Furnace replacement and east washroom renovation
- Westlock Elementary – Parking lot expansion, air system replacement and gym floor repairs
- Dunstable – Kitchen renovation
- Barrhead Composite High School – Classroom renovation
- Busby – Kindergarten / library renovation
Safety Measures in place for COVID-19:
- Daily cleaning & disinfection at all facilities
- Disinfecting hand dispensers at main entrance of all facilities
- Handwashing posters throughout sites
- Disinfecting wipes available at all sites for surface cleaning
- Individual disinfectant spray and wipes for all buses
Additional Recommendations upon fall re-entry:
- Purchase additional disinfecting hand dispensers for areas where there are no sinks/hand soap
- Disable water fountains (not the refill stations) in schools & have students bring water bottles
- Install plexi-glass shields for front end employees such as school administration
- Spray bottles for school staff to disinfect desks, tables etc. after each class change
- Daily cleaning for interior of each school bus after use
- Disinfecting by the caretakers would also need to occur halfway through the day for door knobs, light switches, tables, desks, keyboards, bathrooms etc.
See the board meeting agenda and minutes for more information.
The next school board meeting is at the Regional Office on Wednesday, June 24, 2020 starting at 9:00 a.m. Members of the public are invited to view the meeting via livestream at: https://www.pembinahills.ca/school-board/school-board-meetings/board-meeting-live-stream/