Inclusion advocate, researcher and special educator Shelley Moore was the keynote speaker at the division’s opening day for staff. Through her own experience as a student with learning difficulties, and as an educator specializing in inclusion, she shared some very powerful messages about the way we view diversity, and how to create better supports for all students. Some of her key messages include:
- Inclusion is for everyone.
- If what you’re doing is not meaningful for the student, it is not inclusion.
- We need to find ways to bridge the gap between the philosophy of inclusion and inclusive practice.
- If we’re not talking about all kids, the gap will only become wider.
- Inclusion means finding a purposeful place for students’ personal, social and intellectual goals.
- Inclusion is a journey, not a destination.
A tremendously powerful and impactful speaker, we thank Shelley for sharing her wisdom and ideas with our staff as they prepare for the 2018-19 school year.
Learn more about Shelley Moore at blogsomemoore.com.