The 2023 provincial budget announcement contained an increase to funding for transportation as well as new expectations for the service level provided by school boards.
At their April 26, 2023 Board meeting, the Pembina Hills Board of Trustees passed a motion based on recommendations made by division administration, to suspend the In-Town Busing Fees and Rural Transportation Fees for eligible funded students, as set out in Rates Annex RA4 for the 2023-2024 school year and that Requested School (or school of choice) transportation service only be provided for students currently approved under Administrative Procedure 50-01 Requesting a School Other Than Designated School.
What are the changes starting in 2023-24?
New Distance Criteria for In-Town Busing
The following students are eligible for provincial funding and can access busing at no cost:
- Kindergarten to Grade 6 students who live 1km or more from their designated school
- Grades 7 to 12 students who live 2km or more from their designated school
Students who do not meet this criteria are required to pay a fee and seats are subject to availability.
Requested School Transportation
Busing will no longer be an option for students attending their Requested School (schools outside of the student’s attendance area) with the exception of
- those directed by PHSD Student Services
- French Immersion students where no French Immersion programming is offered
- students from the Neerlandia attendance area who want access to a regular education program in Barrhead
- students outside of the Neerlandia attendance area who want transportation to the Neerlandia School’s Public Christian Education Program.
- Students that have 2022-23 Requested School Transportation Applications (5-01B) that were approved up to and including April 26, 2023.
- Early Learning siblings of students with approved 2022-23 5-01B forms may be considered for transportation. Parents can submit a request to the Transportation Office at email@example.com or 780.674.8510 once 2023-24 Busing Forms are open.
This change does not affect the ability to apply to attend a Requested School. Parents can still choose to transport their child to the Requested School.
The 2023-24 Transportation Forms, updated policies and fee information will be available at the end of May*. For more information, visit the Register to Ride webpage.
*Updated May 25, 2023. The Transportation forms and policies are in the process of being updated and will be available as soon as possible.