Back to School 2021-2022
As we welcome students to the 2021-2022 school year, we want to share all the information that is important for parents and students as they plan to return to school. On behalf of the 700 staff serving our 14 schools, we wish you and your family all the best for the coming school year. Our division’s motto is Together we learn.
Key dates for 2021-22
- First day of school (staggered entry) – Aug 31 & Sept 1
- Christmas break – Dec 20 – Dec 31
- Teachers convention – Feb 10 – 11
- Spring break – Mar 28 – Apr 1
- No school – Sept 24, Oct 1, Nov 12, Jan 31, Mar 4, Mar 18, Apr 29
- Last day of school – June 28
All schools will have staggered entry dates—August 31 and September 1. Students will be required to attend only one of the two days. Be sure to check your school website to find out which day your child is required to attend, as each school will be assigning specific grades for each day. Schools will contact parents of Kindergarten students before school starts with full details of their child’s schedule. If you are unsure which day your child needs to attend, please contact your school office.
School office hours
Our school offices are closed for the summer but will re-open the week of August 23rd. See more details below.
- Barrhead Composite High School—August 25 to 27 – 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
- Barrhead Elementary School—August 23 to 27 – 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Busby School—August 23 to 27 – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Dunstable School—TBD
- Eleanor Hall School—August 23 to 26 – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Fort Assiniboine School—August 23 to 26 – 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Neerlandia Public Christian School—August 23 to 27 – 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Pembina North Community School—August 25 to 27 – 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Swan Hill School—August 23 to 27 – 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- R. F. Staples Secondary School—August 24 to 27 – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Westlock Elementary School—August 25 to 27 – 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
New to Pembina Hills?
If you are new to Pembina Hills, you can register your child through our online registration system, School Engage. Visit our Student Registration page for instructions.
Online Registration, Permission Forms, Fees and Payments
New for 2021 – Our school division has made the transition to online for all registrations, permission forms, fees and payments.
- Fees and Payments
Our school division will continue to use Student Quick Pay to assess school fees and collect payments online. To access this from your PowerSchool account, click on “Fees and Payments” in the main menu.
- Registration and Permission Forms
Our school division is using SchoolEngage to collect registrations and permission forms. To access this from your PowerSchool account, click on “Registration and Permission Forms” in the main menu. Schools will assign student demographic updates and the required permission forms to all returning students within the first few days of school. These forms can be completed quickly and easily online through your PowerSchool account.
Signing in to your PowerSchool account
All online services are accessible from your PowerSchool account. All Pembina Hills parents and guardians are required to have an active parent account in PowerSchool.
- Existing families already on PowerSchool
If you have a PowerSchool parent account already set up, great! Just click here to sign in: https://powerschool.pembinahills.ca/public/home.html. If you don’t know your password, click the Forgot Username or Password link to reset it. If you have problems logging in to your account, please call your school office.
- Existing families not on PowerSchool
If you already have students enrolled in our schools but don’t have your parent account set up, you will need to create one. Just follow these steps on this page: Creating your parent account.
- New families to Pembina Hills
When you use our online student registration system to register your child with us, the system will automatically create your parent PowerSchool account. You will receive an email notification with your username and password, and the link to sign in.
All about busing
See the Transportation page for information on how to submit registration forms and pay fees online.
Contact the Transportation Services office at 780-674-8510.
Barrhead office hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Westlock office (summer) hours: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- All bus passengers must wear a mask
- The government of Alberta has mandated masks for all passengers over the age of 2 years old on school busses.
- As per Alberta’s COVID-19: Mask requirements page on their website, “anyone unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition will require a medical exception letter from an authorized health professional.”
- Further information and a template for the exception letter is provided on thier Alberta Government web page mentioned.
Alberta Government Resources – Return to School
At the August 19th, 2021 Special Board Meeting, the PHSD Board of Trustees approved a motion that directs school and system administration to align health measures related to COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses to guidelines as prescribed by the Government of Alberta. The Pembina Hills School Division will not be applying restrictions beyond those put in place by Alberta Health and Alberta Education. The information provided here is also available on the Alberta Government website: Preparing for a New School Year
- 2021-2022 School Year Plan
- Alberta Daily Health Checklist
- Guidance for Respiratory Illness Prevention and Management in Schools
- Parent letter from the Chief Medical Officer of Health
- Parents’ Guide—2021-2022 School Year
COVID-19 School Immunization Program
Alberta Health Services (AHS), Public Health School Immunization Program is offering a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to eligible students in Grades 7 to 12, who are born in 2009 or earlier. PHSD’s role is to support the distribution of information and consent forms and to host Alberta Health Services in our schools.
Parents can either request a printed copy of the information and consent forms from their child’s school, or print applicable pages from this digital document: Alberta Health 2021-2022 School Immunization. The program is expected to start after September 7. Watch for further information regarding schedules for your school.