Regional Office –
Electoral ward structure
At the May 13th board meeting, trustees decided to postpone the reading of Bylaw 06-2020 until the June 24, 2020 meeting. If passed, the bylaw will amend the electoral boundaries for Pembina Hills School Division as approved by the Board of Trustees at their April 22, 2020 board meeting. Bylaw 06-2020 would repeal Bylaw 01-95 and establish that Pembina Hills School Division be comprised of six wards:
- Pembina Hills East – Ward 1 being the Municipal Sub-divisions numbered one (1), two (2), four (4), and five (5) of Westlock County and the Village of Clyde.
- Pembina Hills East – Ward 2 being the Municipal Sub-divisions numbered three (3), six (6), and seven (7) of Westlock County and the portion of the Municipal District of Lesser Slave River within the boundaries of the Pembina Hills School Division.
- Pembina Hills East – Ward 3 being the Town of Westlock.
- Pembina Hills West – Ward 1 being the Municipal Sub-divisions numbered one (1), two (2), three (3), four (4), five (5), and seven (7) of the County of Barrhead.
- Pembina Hills West – Ward 2 being the Municipal Sub-division number six (6) of the County of Barrhead, the Town of Swan Hills, and those portions of Woodlands County and Big Lakes County within the boundaries of the Pembina Hills School Division.
- Pembina Hills West – Ward 3 being the Town of Barrhead.
Parties interested in presenting to the board may do so at the June 10th board meeting. Delegations are required to send a written request to the board chair with the information they would like to present, and must have an appointment on the agenda. For more information, please contact Secretary Treasurer Tracy Leigh at 780-674-8504 or Tracy.Leigh@pembinahills.ca.
Allocation Formula revised
In a May 5th letter from Alberta Education, the division learned it will receive $100,740 more than initially expected. The adjustment was due to an error by Alberta Education regarding Kindergarten projections, as well as a slight increase in bridge funding, which is now $754,111. The division will receive a total of $51,797,848 for the 2020-2021 school year.
The Allocation Formula was revised due to the increase in funding and includes increases to the hours allotted to community schools for both program assistants and office support staff.
Division eliminates food and beverage expenditures
Due to funding reductions for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, the board passed a motion to eliminate all food and beverage expenditures for division, school and board events and meetings.
See the board meeting agenda and minutes for more information.
The next school board meeting is at the Regional Office on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 starting at 9:00 a.m. Members of the public are invited to view the meeting via livestream at: https://www.pembinahills.ca/board-meeting-live-stream/