Regional Office ~
2023-2024 Operating Budget Approved
At the May 24th meeting, Acting Secretary-Treasurer Gordon Majeran presented the upcoming school year budget. The Board adopted the 2023-2024 Operating Budget with revenues of $68.1 million and expenses of $69.3 million. By the end of August 2024, the division’s deficit is projected to be $1.15 million (1.66% of budgeted expenses) and will be covered by school and board reserves.
Highlights from the budget include:
- Staffing increases:
- 6.6 FTE for Certificated staff (4.0FTE Inclusive Education Lead teachers, 2.6FTE instructional teachers)
- Increase in Transportation funding of approximately $700,000
The 2023-2024 budget assumes that schools and grade configurations will continue to operate as they did in the 2022-23 year.
See the full budget report here.
Board Approves 2023-2026 Education Plan
Director of Education Services, Raime Drake, presented the Three-Year Education Plan for 2023-2026. The following priorities will remain, with refined and newly created strategies to support:
- Student-Staff Relationships – Positive relationships between students and staff are the foundation upon which we build students’ resilience, confidence and mental well-being.
- Literacy and Numeracy – Literacy and Numeracy are critical for Student Achievement in all areas of the curriculum.
- Support for Staff (Collaborative Structures/Culture) – A collaborative environment enables staff to teach a diverse student population through purposeful inclusion and supports the implementation of effective practices.
The Education Plan is reviewed and revised annually with input from communities, parents, students and staff. The document highlights strategies to improve student learning in Pembina Hills. The plan, along with measures as data is released, the previous AERR and financial documents continue to be located on the division website at www.pembinahills.ca/assurance-reporting/.
Transportation Fees Reduced
The Board passed a motion to reduce the Transportation Fee for students not currently eligible for Provincial Transportation funding to $100 for the 2023-2024 school year. Full details and eligibility information can be found on the division website.
Board receives Transportation Assurance Report
Acting Transportation Director David Sharpe presented the Board with a detailed report on the transportation services the division provides to students.
View: Transportation Assurance Report