What happens in Kindergarten?
Children explore and learn about the world through play. In Kindergarten your child will discover reading, math, physical education, art and music in preparation for a life of learning.
Who can register for Kindergarten?
Children who will be 5 by December 31.
Register for Kindergarten
There are two ways to register depending on if you are brand new to Pembina Hills or if you have children already attending our schools.
New to Pembina Hills
Families who are new to Pembina Hills will need to create a SchoolEngage account. For detailed instructions, see the New Student Registration page.
Existing Pembina Hills families
Existing families who want to register a new student (ie. Kindergarten) can access SchoolEngage through their PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- If you do not have a PowerSchool Parent account setup, you can do so by following the instructions on the PowerSchool for parents page – under the section Creating your Account.
- You will need your child’s access ID information from your school office.
For screenshots and detailed instructions, see the New Student Registration page.
Before you register…
Here’s what you will need to provide:
- Proof of age such as a child’s birth certificate or immigration documentation (for newcomers)
- Legal land description or rural address (Rural Students only)
- Copies of any court orders affecting student
On the registration form, you will need to indicate if the school you are registering at is your child’s Designated School. If you’re not sure which is your designated school, see our Attendance Area Map or contact the Transportation Office at 780-674-8510 or email@example.com.
Requesting a school outside your attendance area
We strongly encourage parents to speak directly to their school principal if they would like to request that their child attend a school outside their attendance area. Principals from both the Designated School and the Requested School are required to approve such requests, except for French Immersion or those directed by Student Services.
When requesting a school outside your attendance area, parents will need to complete an additional form—Requested School Registration Application. This form will be assigned to your SchoolEngage Dashboard after you submit the New Student Registration.
Register for Busing
Busing is free for rural Kindergarten students attending their designated school.
Busing is available for in-town Kindergarten students for $207.50/year.
Busing may be available for Kindergarten students to attend a requested school for $230/year. (Form 5-01A must be completed and approved first.)
Before you register for busing, your child’s Student Registration Form must be approved by your school.
- When your student registration form is approved, you will receive an email with instructions on how to register for busing.
- If you have not completed a 22-23 New Student Registration Form, please visit our Student Registration page for instructions.
How to register for busing
If your child is registered (or pre-registered) at a Pembina Hills school, you can fill out transportation forms and pay fees online through your PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- Sign in to your PowerSchool Parent Portal Account.
- Brand new families will receive an email with login instructions for your PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
- Click on Fees, Payments & Forms in the main menu. This will direct you to the Student Quick Pay website where you can complete forms and submit payments.
- In Student Quick Pay, select your child’s name from the top menu. All Rural and In-Town busing forms are listed for you to choose from.
- If you do not have access to your PowerSchool Parent Portal, please contact your school office.
- Online payments are accepted by credit card (VISA, Mastercard, Discover) or VISA Debit.
- Payment plans are available for In-Town Bus Fees and Requested School Bus Fees (5-01B).
- Select Payment Plan when you checkout. Your payments will be processed monthly, until paid in full by August 15, 2022.
- If you do not wish to pay online, you can still submit the form online. Payments can be sent by mail or in-person to:
- Cash or cheque – Pembina Hills Transportation Office, 5610 – 49 Street, Barrhead, AB. Cheques are payable to Pembina Hills School Division.
- Debit card – Pembina Hills Regional Office at 5310 – 49 Street, Barrhead.
- All fees must be paid in full by August 15, 2022.
If you have questions about busing or how to register please call the Transportation office at 780.674.8510 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about busing for next year, and if you need help with fees and forms, please contact the transportation office at 780-674-8509 or email email@example.com.
Meet the Bus
The first day of Kindergarten is a big day! So is that first ride on the big yellow school bus.
Our transportation department is offering two Meet the Bus events for our newest passengers. Kindergarten students (and their parents) are welcome to check out the bus, learn the rules and go for a ride! No registration needed.
École Barrhead Elementary School
10:00 a.m. August 10, 2022
In the bus lane behind the school
École Westlock Elementary School
10:00 a.m. August 11, 2022
In the bus lane beside the school