Updated August 9, 2021 –
We offer Kindergarten at nine of our community schools. French Immersion Kindergarten is available at our Barrhead and Westlock elementary schools.
- Busby School – Principal: Angie Bachand – P 780.349.2464
- Dunstable School – Principal: Tammy Tkachuk – P 780.674.4401
- École Barrhead Elementary School – Principal: Dale Bujold – P 780.674.8518
- École Westlock Elementary School – Principal: Amber Monteath – P 780.349.3385
- Eleanor Hall School – Principal: Nadine Marchand – P 780.348.5341
- Fort Assiniboine School – Principal: Lorna Hiemstra – P 780.584.3751
- Neerlandia Public Christian School – Principal: Brett Seatter – P 780.674.5581
- Pembina North Community School – Principal: Raime Drake – P 780.954.3790
- Swan Hills School – Principal: Slade Sekulich – P 780.333.4471
What happens in Kindergarten?
Children explore and learn about the world through play. In Kindergarten your child will discover reading, math, physical education, art and music in preparation for a life of learning.
Who can register for Kindergarten?
Children who will be 5 by December 31.
Register for Kindergarten
We are now accepting new student registrations for the 2021-2022 school year. We have recently launched an online registration system called SchoolEngage. There are two ways to register depending on if you are brand new to Pembina Hills or if you have children already attending our schools.
New to Pembina Hills
Families who are new to Pembina Hills will need to create a SchoolEngage account. For screenshots and detailed instructions, see the New Student Registration page.
Existing Pembina Hills families
Existing families who want to register a new student (ie. Kindergarten) can access SchoolEngage through their PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- If you do not have a PowerSchool Parent account setup, you can do so by following the instructions on the PowerSchool for parents page – under the section Creating your Account.
- You will need your child’s access ID information from your school office.
For screenshots and detailed instructions, see the New Student Registration page.
Before you register…
Here’s what you will need to provide:
- Proof of age such as a child’s birth certificate or immigration documentation (for newcomers)
- Legal land description or rural address (Rural Students only)
- Copies of any court orders affecting student
On the registration form, you will need to indicate if the school you are registering at is your child’s Designated School. If you’re not sure which is your designated school, see our Attendance Area Map or contact the Transportation Office at 780-674-8510 or email@example.com.
Requesting a school outside your attendance area
We strongly encourage parents to speak directly to their school principal if they would like to request that their child attend a school outside their attendance area. Principals from both the Designated School and the Requested School are required to approve such requests, except for French Immersion or those directed by Student Services.
When requesting a school outside your attendance area, parents will need to complete an additional form—Requested School Registration Application. This form will be assigned to your SchoolEngage Dashboard after you submit the New Student Registration.
Register for Busing
Busing is free for rural Kindergarten students attending their designated school.
Busing is available for in-town Kindergarten students for $207.50/year.
New for 2021 – Bus forms and fees can be submitted online.
If you’re new to Pembina Hills, you can fill out transportation forms and pay fees online through Student Quick Pay:
- Go to https://www.studentquickpay.com/phsd
- Create your parent account
- Once you are signed into your parent account, you will have access to transportation forms.
- For information about how to access forms and fees online, visit the Register to Ride page.
If you have other children registered in our schools, you can access forms and fees for your new Kindergarten student through your PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- Go to https://powerschool.pembinahills.ca/public/home.html
- Click on School Fees and Forms in the menu
- Your other children will be listed in your Student Quick Pay account
- To add a new student, click on Linked Accounts, and select Pembina Hills School Division Guest, then Add Guest.
- The Rural and In-Town forms for new students will be listed for you to choose from
For more information about busing for next year, and if you need help with fees and forms, please contact the transportation office at 780-674-8509 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Bus
The first day of Kindergarten is a big day! So is that first ride on the big yellow school bus.
Our transportation department is offering two Meet the Bus events for our newest passengers. Kindergarten students (and their parents) are welcome to check out the bus, learn the rules and go for a ride! No registration needed.
École Barrhead Elementary School
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 at 10:00 am
In the bus lane behind the school
École Westlock Elementary School
Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 10:00 am
In the bus lane beside the school