Regional Office –
Electoral Ward Bylaw – Third reading postponed
The third reading of the Electoral Ward Bylaw has been postponed until the August 26, 2020 regular board meeting. A delegation presented their concerns and opposition to the proposed ward boundary changes and reduction of the number of trustees. Delegates that presented were Craig Wilson, Mayor of the Town of Swan Hills; Ralph Leriger, Mayor of the Town of Westlock; Dave McKenzie, Mayor of the Town of Barrhead; and Linda West, community member.
International travel suspended
The board of trustees voted unanimously to suspend international travel for the 2020-2021 school year due to the uncertainty of the duration of health measures around the COVID-19 pandemic. The suspension will be reviewed in the summer of 2021. Proposals for trips that are to occur in the 2021-2022 school year can continue to be submitted for approval in principle.
School re-entry plan
Our school re-entry plan balances the measures needed to control virus spread and our students’ need for healthy interactions. All plans follow the guidance provided by Alberta Education and Alberta Health. As we receive information and directives from the province, news updates are posted on our website. Links to all of our news releases, as well as links to the provincial authorities are available at: https://www.pembinahills.ca/covid-19-information/. To ensure that the school re-entry information reaches everyone, the division is sending a mailout this week to all Pembina Hills families.
Families will be expected to complete the Daily Health Check Screening Questions to determine if students can be sent to school.
- If students or staff show symptoms that are not related to pre-existing conditions, they are legally required to isolate for 10 days.
- If students or staff become symptomatic at school they must leave the school.
- If students or staff test positive for COVID-19 they must isolate for 10 days and Alberta Health Services will contact the school of positive results and begin tracing contacts. Further communication will come from the school if Alberta Health Services contacts the school.
- If students or staff test negative and have known exposure to COVID-19, have travelled outside Canada or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, they are legally required to isolate for 14 days.
Health measures being taken in our schools:
- All front-end employees greeting the public will receive plexiglass shield guards.
- All entrances and common areas will receive hand disinfectant dispensers.
- Larger sites will receive disinfecting foggers for the caretaker contractors to use in gym storage rooms, prep rooms, etc. (potentially all schools if a cheaper fogger can be acquired).
- All other schools will receive hand pump disinfecting sprayers (if cheaper foggers can’t be acquired).
- Physical distancing tape for floors to mark directions.
- Excess furnishings, area rugs, and plush toys that cannot be easily cleaned will be labeled and removed and stored at each site by facilities staff.
- All sites will be cleaned thoroughly and disinfected at the end of each day.
- Additional disinfecting for high-touch surfaces will also occur halfway through the school day at 11:30 -12:30 for smaller sites and 11:30 – 1:30 for the larger sites (times may vary slightly per site).
- Each classroom will be supplied with a disinfectant to be used on desks, keyboard trays and computers where class changes occur.
- Buses will also be disinfected at the end of every route and in between transfers. Hand sanitizers installed at the door are to be used prior to entry and cleaning logs will be kept.
- Water fountains will be shut off, but the bottle filling stations will be available.
- Installation of hands-free tap sets in student washrooms.
- Additional paper towel dispensers in all student washrooms.
- All staff and students will receive two reusable face masks from the province.
- Face shields will be provided for staff from the province.
Check out the board meeting agenda and minutes for more information.
The next school board meeting is at the Regional Office on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 starting at 9:00 a.m. It will be the organizational meeting of the board. Members of the public are welcome to attend. There will no longer be a livestream feed to the board meeting.