Regional Office –
Student enrolment update
As of September 30th, enrolment in our community schools is down 368 students — 10% lower than projected. Of those students, 202 have chosen distance learning through the division’s online school, Vista Virtual School. Including Vista Virtual School’s current registrations, the division’s total Kindergarten to Grade 12 enrolment is 5,766 students — an increase of 183. This is the first enrolment increase the division has seen in years.
Capital maintenance priorities
In preparation for Budget 2021, Alberta Education has requested a list of capital projects for 2021-2022. Pembina Hills will submit the following projects as priorities in the order listed:
- Busby – New gymnasium; Convert existing gym into Library/Music room
- Barrhead Composite – Replacement sewer lift station, Junior High HVAC, Two Science lab renovations
- Swan Hills – New roof membrane
- Westlock Elementary – Six washroom renovations
- Barrhead Elementary – New exterior doors and hardware
- All Sites – Security alarm update, Upgrade emergency lighting, Exit fixtures and P.A. systems
COVID-19 health and safety inspections underway
An Occupational Health & Safety Officer conducted inspections at Busby, Dunstable and Barrhead Elementary schools. The inspections focus on proactive measures in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. The inspections were successful, with no issues to be addressed. Neerlandia is scheduled for inspection on October 16, 2020.
Check out the board meeting agenda and minutes for more information.
The next school board meeting is at the Regional Office on Wednesday, October 28, 2020 starting at 9:00 a.m. Members of the public are invited to view a livestream of the meeting on our website.