The May 25th regular board meeting was held at Eleanor Hall School in Clyde. Thank you to the staff and students for welcoming the school board into your building for the day.
2022-2023 Operating Budget Approved
At the May 25th meeting, Secretary Treasurer Heather Nanninga presented the upcoming school year budget. The board adopted the 2022-2023 Operating Budget with revenues of $65.4 million and expenses of $67.9 million. By the end of August 2023, the division’s accumulated surplus from operations is projected to be $2.1 million (3.03% of budgeted expenses).
Highlights from the budget include:
- Staffing increases:
- 7.5 FTE for Certificated staff (3.1%)
- 13 FTE for Uncertificated staff (7.3%)
- Average teacher cost increase of $800 (from $107,900 to $110,500)
- Alberta School Employees Benefit Plan premium rate increase of 7.7%
- Use of $2.5 million in operating reserves to support targeted projects including learning loss, curriculum development, and strategic staffing levels.
The 2022-2023 budget is based on the assumption that schools will operate as normal this fall and that students will be using in-person learning throughout the year. This budget also assumes that overall enrolments at community schools will decrease, but that these will be mostly offset by increases at Vista Virtual School.
Board Approves 2022-2025 Education Plan
Director of Education Services, Raime Drake, presented the Three-Year Education Plan for 2022-2025. The following priorities will remain, with refined and newly created strategies to support:
- Student-Staff Relationships – Positive relationships between students and staff are the foundation upon which we build students’ resilience, confidence and mental well-being.
- Literacy and Numeracy – Literacy and Numeracy are critical for Student Achievement in all areas of the curriculum.
- Support for Staff – A collaborative environment enables staff to teach a diverse student population through purposeful inclusion and supports the implementation of effective practices.
The Education Plan is reviewed and revised annually with input from communities, parents, students and staff. The document highlights strategies to improve student learning in Pembina Hills. The plan, along with measures as data is released, the previous AERR and financial documents continue to be located on the division website at www.pembinahills.ca/assurance-reporting/.
The next school board meeting will be held at Swan Hills School on June 8, 2022 starting at 9:00 a.m.