School staff do not typically go to work thinking they are going to save a life that day. But that was the experience of Nicole DeZaeyer and Wendy Wieland, Teacher and Educational Assistant at Fort Assiniboine School, earlier this month.
Nicole was doing playground supervision as usual when she noticed another staff member get stung by a bee. The problem? That staff member has a severe allergy to bee stings. Nicole’s quick thinking shot her into action, and together with Wendy, was able to administer life-saving first aid.
Nicole had recently finished her first aid training in the months prior to the incident and credits her training for how she reacted.
“I never thought I would have to use it. I’m glad I took it.” ~ Nicole DeZaeyer
Having experience from being on the Fort Assiniboine Fire Department, Wendy noted “It was important to stay calm.” and that “You can never have too much training.”
“(Having training) Can be the difference between life and death.” ~ Wendy Wieland
Thankfully, the staff member has recovered and is back to work.
Nicole and Wendy’s advice to others?
It is important to get trained and keep it fresh in your mind. You never know when you are going to need it.
Creating a safe and welcoming environment in our schools also means being prepared for life’s unexpected surprises. First Aid sessions for Pembina Hills staff are routinely offered throughout the year and staff are encouraged to have up-to-date training.
Are you prepared? Get trained!
According to the Canadian Red Cross, approximately one-third of Canadian households have no First Aid training. Visit the Canadian Red Cross or St. Johns’ Ambulance websites for more information or find a course in local listings.