Educational Assistant Program 2024-2025 ~NEW~
Earn an Educational Assistant Certificate through Pembina Hills and Northern Lakes College!
The 2024-2025 10-month dual-credit program will take place January 29, 2024 to January 30, 2025, each afternoon 12:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m. (no classes during Spring Break or the summer).
Earn high school and post-secondary credits at the same time!
Afternoon sessions will be held in Barrhead or Westlock (flexibility to view online if not in their community). Students must also participate in full-day sessions on PHSD Professional Development Days in Barrhead.
- Credit in English 30-1 or 60% in English 30-2
- Credit in Math 10C or Math 10-3
- No tuition costs for 3rd, 4th and 5th-year high school students in PHSD
- Adult students will pay tuition based on the rates annex (not applicable to current EA employees)
- Textbooks are the responsibility of the student
- Two practicums in PHSD schools
Interested in this program? Add your name to our Interest List Form below by November 24!
For more information, contact Karen Fischer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: This information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Section 33(c). This information will be used to identify practices or conditions which may affect the safety and care of individuals. If you have questions about the collection of this information, you can contact the FOIP Coordinator at Pembina Hills School Division, 5310-49 St. Barrhead, AB T7N 1P3 or by phone at 780.674.8500.
What is Dual Credit?
With Dual Credit programming, Grades 10-12 students have the opportunity to complete a college course or program while earning credits at both the college and high school (Gr. 12, 30-level) levels at the same time.
Why take Dual Credit programming?
- Finding their path: Taking dual credit programming allows students to try out a post-secondary course or program and prepares students for a post-secondary environment.
- Students can earn both high school and college credits at the same time
- Schooling at home that fits the student’s schedule: Dual Credit programming is completed online with most courses being accessed when the students are available – during the day, evening or whenever it fits their schedule. Students may be able to complete an entire college program while living at home, depending on the program.
- It can lower future course loads and save money: Students can complete courses towards a credential before going to a post-secondary institution. Students can also get a rebate (up to 90% of tuition) upon successful completion.
- Students can complete college prerequisite courses
Who is eligible to take dual credits?
High school students who are 19 years of age or younger as of September 1, 2023 are eligible to take dual credits.
Dual Credit Opportunities
Through Northern Lakes College
- Addictions Counseling*
- Business Administration**
- Computer Network Specialist**
- Early Learning & Child Care**
- Educational Assistant**
- Office Administration**
- Practical Nurse*
- Primary Care Paramedics*
- Social Work Courses*
- University Transfer Courses*
* Individual courses, not entire program
** Individual courses OR entire program
Students planning to attend colleges in Alberta other than Northern Lakes College may also be able to start their program while attending highschool. Students must talk to their career counselor or school administration as soon as possible.
Some programs require practicum placements that can be completed within our community or they may require practical experience that must be completed away from home.
Students can talk to their school career counselor or school administration about dual credit opportunities, prerequisite requirements and the registration process.
For more information, contact PHSD’s Dual Credit Coordinator: