After being suspended for one year, we are pleased to announce that Pembina Hills is resuming its partnership with NorQuest College to offer the Dual Credit Health Care Aide (HCA) Program at Barrhead Composite High School in 2021-2022.
Attend the HCA Virtual Information Session
Plan to attend the virtual information session on Wednesday, April 14th at 7:00 pm, where further details will be provided and you will have an opportunity to ask questions. If you would like to attend the session, please fill out the form below (form is now closed). Members of the public are welcome—adult students may be considered is there is space available. (Max 24 students)
- The virtual session will be held via Google Meet.
- Prior to the meeting, registrants will receive an email with the meeting link and instructions.
About the Health Care Aide Program
NorQuest College’s Health Care Aide program is among the largest in Canada and prepares you to be a part of a health care team in a variety of different settings, providing a high level of front-line care to clients in need of assistance.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be prepared to work in continuing care institutions, home care agencies, group homes, assisted or supportive living, day programs, specialized care centres and programs, acute care hospitals, and private care. Health care aides provide personal assistance and support services for elderly, families, disabled, acute care (often newborns), or chronically ill people who require short term assistance or ongoing support.
Who can apply?
The Health Care Aide program is available to:
- Students in Grade 12
- Returning Students
- Adults (Space permitting)
Note: The program is limited to 24 students.
What are the admission requirements?
- A minimum of 60% in English Language Arts 20-2 or 55% in ELA 30-2 or successful completion of academic testing through NorQuest College Assessment Services AND must be a student in good standing.
- Clear criminal record check (must include vulnerable sector check)
- An up-to-date immunization record (These are required for the clinical practicum)
What Does it Cost?
- Term 1 fees are $3,700. A deposit of $1,000.00 is due Spring 2021.
- Term 1 fees due in full by July 31, 2021.
High school age students (no older than 19 as of September 1, 2021) are eligible for fee subsidies for the first term of the dual credit program. Students must pay the first-term fee to Pembina Hills School Division and after demonstrating commitment, they will be refunded for the majority of these fees.
- Refunds for eligible 3rd and 4th year high school students come to 93% of the first term fee.
- Refunds for eligible 5th year students come to about 46% of the first term fee.
High School students can register for the second term directly with NorQuest College. At this point, students will be eligible for scholarships, bursaries and student loans.
Any adult students whom we are able to accomodate in the cohort are responsible for NorQuest College’s tuition and registration fees for both terms. For more information, visit https://www.norquest.ca/cal/current/program/health-care-aide/.
For more information, please contact:
Karen Fischer, PHSD Dual Credit Coordinator
For more details about this and other dual credit opportunities, visit our Dual Credit page.